Sunday, March 25, 2012

Shared Reading with Mr. Squishy

We have been working on reading patterned texts in my classroom. I was having a lot of trouble finding texts that were both exciting for my kids and appropriate for the skills they needed to learn. So, I created this poem that is based on my kids' favorite classroom object: Mr. Squishy. I included some positional words as suggested in class (to touch on math standards). I broke the pattern at the end, as some of my students have can read patterned texts but then would have trouble recognizing when the pattern stopped. The next day, I turned the poem into a book so students could practice one-to-one correspondence by using fingerpaint and putting a print on each word as they read. The students really enjoyed it and thought the pictures were so silly!

1 comment:

  1. This is really great! Kids love seeing their favorite objects in books and it gives them great motivation to learn. The positional words will stick with them as they read and reread this book.

    ReplyDelete